The 4K programs employs the Creative Curriculum that is required by the HC4K program. Creative Curriculum is organized into 9 areas of development and learning.
- Science and Technology
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts
Each day revolves around using teaching guides with studies of different subjects, intentional teaching cards with playful and engaging activities, Mighty Minute games which enforce, letters, numbers, patterns, and more. The curriculum uses a specific set of books that complement the themes and studies.
A second curriculum that is utilized is, “Second Step.” This program deals specifically with the social and emotional aspects of learning. It helps us to prepare the children with skills to react and handle their feelings as they work, play, and learn with others while getting along and building friendships.
The Wraparound program provides additional education for full day 4K students, it includes:
- Religion (Catechesis of the Good Shepard, taught in the Atrium)
- Physical Education in the gymnasium with our gym teacher
- Music Education taught by our elementary music teacher
- Lunch, Recess, and Rest Time
- Spirit Family activities and monthly mass
- Participation in all school programs and activities
Fall bus trip to a local apple orchard and pumpkin patch to study first hand about plant life
During Catholic Schools Week, the 4K students travel to the Giggle Factory to celebrate being members of our great community.
Each day we expect our 4K students to come to school ready to learn, to participated, and to simply have fun while here! By the end of the year, they are expected to be able to:
- Begin to write their name through daily practice.
- Recognize and identify some upper and lower case letters.
- Recognize, count, and write numbers to 10.
- Develop their fine motor skills and be able to hold and use writing utensils.
- Color in the lines and cut both straight and curved lines.
- Follow two-step directions and sit for short lengths of time.
- Interact well with others and are able to express his/her feelings.